If you were to get your roof replaced, then you would be thinking about getting a roofing material that’s durable and strong. The material would need to fit within your budget. And, ideally, it would be eco/environmentally-friendly. In today’s market there are several eco-friendly roofing materials available. What are some of them?
Reclaimed Clay/Slate Tiles:
If you are looking for some kind of roofing material that is completely recyclable and durable, then you should choose clay or slate roof tiles. Clay or slate tiles are reliable environmentally- friendly roofing materials, as they create a special air vacuum or air cushion. This air cushion helps in protecting your house from extreme heat and cold weather. These materials are considered best for people who want to have cozy houses with sustainable roofs.
What Are Some Advantages of Clay/Slate Tiles?
- Clay or slate tiles are natural and eco-friendly.
- They improve the aesthetic appeal of a house.
- They’re extremely durable and can last up to 100 years.
- If you want some different colors of clay tiles, then you can opt for lighter colors, which help deflect heat.
Metal is an eco-friendly material that is manufactured from recycled metals. Metal roofing helps protect a house or building from extreme heat. As metal is quite strong and durable, metal roofing can last for more than 50 years if well-maintained. Metal roofing is a great option for buildings such as warehouses, workshops, and offices.
What Are Some Advantages of Metal Roofing?
- Metal as a roofing material is extremely durable.
- It is strong.
- This roofing material is light reflective and fully recyclable.
The shingles used in rubber roofing are manufactured from recycled tires and blended with sawdust and crushed slates. Rubber shingles are not very expensive compared to other traditional roofing materials. Rubber is a tough and durable material and can last for more than 60 or 70 years. The shingles made from rubber impart higher resistance against extreme harsh weather such as water, strong winds, and storms.
What Are Some Advantages of Rubber Roofing?
- Besides low cost, rubber roofing does not require regular maintenance.
- It can stay strong even when you schedule roof maintenance after 2 or 3 years.
- When rubber is formulated properly, it does not get worn out in the scorching sun or extremely hot weather.
- Rubber is so strong that cracks cannot form in it, so it helps in preventing any sort of water leakage
Stone-coated roofs are quite popular these days as they are energy-efficient and eco-friendly. If you want a roofing material that enhances the curb appeal of the house and is not very expensive, then go for stone-coated roofing material.
What Are Some Advantages of Stone-Coated Roofing?
- Stone-coated roofing material is extremely lightweight so it does not put any pressure on the underlying surface of the roof.
- Stone-coated roofs are durable and can last longer than 70 years.
- Stone-coated roofing materials are energy-efficient since they reflect heat which in turn keeps a house cool naturally and reduces utility bills.
- They do not require expensive maintenance every year. They can stay strong even with infrequent maintenance.
Concrete tiles are eco-friendly as they are formed from water, sand, and cement. Concrete tiles are affordable.
What Are Some Advantages of Concrete Roofing?
- Concrete tiles stay strong against harsh weather. Tiles are impact-resistant and can endure a lot!
- Concrete helps keep the house cool, not letting heat get trapped inside. Concrete reflects heat into the environment.
- Use well-refined cement with well-condensed tiles to keep rainwater out.
Wood Shingles/Wood Shakes:
Wood shingles are generally formed from recycled cedar shakes or barn wood or timber.
What Are Some Advantages of Wood?
- Wood shingles repel insects and do not promote the growth of mold and mildew.
- Wood has a high resistance to water/moisture due to natural oils present within.
- Wood roofing materials are mostly used for high-end houses; They may require frequent or regular maintenance.
- If you want to increase the curb appeal of the house, then wood roofing material is the best choice.
There are several popular eco-friendly roofing materials available today. When choosing roofing material, make sure you choose something that makes good sense with your geographic location and will stand up well to the climatic conditions in your region. Certain materials have a distinct look to them, helping improve the aesthetic quality of a house or property.